Discover the best PCT sections for a day hike or weekend jaunt
The 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail traverses the “high road” from Mexico to Canada through three states. In this Northern California guide, local Wendy Lautner describes 31 day hikes and overnight trips on the PCT in northern Yosemite National Park, through Sonora, Ebbetts, and Carson passes, the Desolation Wilderness and Lake Tahoe area, and farther north into Lassen Volcanic National Park and Russian and Marble Mountain wildernesses.
Enjoy sparkling alpine lakes, windswept views, outstanding wildflowers, spectacular fall colors, great swimming, and much more on hikes ranging from a mile-long waterfall stroll to a scenic 22-mile trek.
This handy guide includes:
- trail maps and elevation profiles
- ratings for scenery, trail condition, difficulty, solitude, and accessibility for children
- driving directions to, and GPS waypoints for, trailheads
- permit and fee instructions for overnighters
- details about what to expect on the trail