Learn basic and advanced techniques for using GPS to enhance your favorite outdoor activities, from hiking to fishing.
Hikers, backpackers, mountain bikers, anglers—outdoor adventurers of all kinds—will find Outdoor Navigation with GPS an essential tool for making the most out of your backcountry trips.
Along with an explanation of the fundamentals of traditional navigation, author Stephen W. Hinch shows GPS users everything from basic GPS navigation skills to advanced techniques such as creating custom maps and even how to select the most appropriate receiver. This comprehensive book includes more than 100 helpful diagrams and illustrations, and the new edition features details about the latest receivers from the top manufacturers. With years of experience as a GPS instructor, Stephen answers the most common GPS questions in a jargon-free, easy-to-follow style.
You will learn:
- Basics of how GPS technology works
- Essentials of wilderness navigation
- How to create and navigate to waypoints
- Advantages and limitations of GPS-enabled mobile phones
- Latitude and longitude, UTM coordinates, position formats, and map datums
- How to use GPS with Google Earth and Google Maps
- How to find your way if your GPS unit fails
- How to get started with fun activities like geocaching and orienteering
Outdoor Navigation with GPS is useful for hiking, geocaching, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, backpacking, outdoor photography, mountain biking, and more!
There are no reviews yet.