This is the ultimate guide to the best of Northern California’s incredible natural diversity.
The soaring granite of the High Sierra, crashing surf of the Pacific, volcanic landscape of the Modoc Plateau, ecological richness of the Klamath Mountains, magnificent redwoods of the North Coast, spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay Area, all are detailed in these pages.
Author Matt Heid has selected 101 of the region’s best hikes, from 1-mile family strolls to challenging 22-mile treks, to give you as many options as possible. Covering the entire northern two-thirds of the state, including Big Sur and the southern Sierra Nevada, this book spans a much greater area than other similar guidebooks. What’s more, the third edition opens up several new realms, with 18 entirely new trips and expanded coverage of the Sierra Nevada and North Coast regions.
Each hike includes total distance, elevation gain and loss, hiking time, highlights, difficulty rating, backpacking possibilities, an updated map, and a full route description, and indicates whether dogs are allowed.
Using this book, you’ll discover these gems:
- the largest contiguous old-growth redwood forest in the world (Hike 43)
- a herd of Roosevelt elk roaming a remote beach (Hike 49)
- astonishing views of Half Dome and much of Yosemite (Hike 87)
- gnarled, sculpted bristlecone pines that are more than 4000 years old (Hike 95)
- an active glacier below a serrated ridge of 14,000-foot peaks (Hike 96)
From Big Sur to Point Reyes, the Golden Gate Bridge to the Lost Coast, Sequoia National Park to the Modoc Plateau, and beyond, be INSPIRED to explore the natural splendor of Northern California.
There are no reviews yet.